Monday, April 25, 2011

Kid Koala (and John Medeski)

I recently saw Pitchfork mentioning a "new" collaboration between Damon Albarn (Blur, Gorillaz), Dan the Automator (Handsome Boy Modeling School, Kool Keith) and Kid Koala (Deltron 3030). Pitchfork posted a clip of Kid Koala spinning the track on a NYC radio show recently.

When I watched the clip, I immediately recognized it. Given Pitchfork mentioned that Kid Koala has been performing the song live, it does not specify that he has been performing using that song since 2006, possibly even earlier. The way I heard him perform this song was through a live recording of Kid Koala and John Medeski (Medeski, Martin & Wood) performing a full set (43+ minutes) in Japan in 2006. This specific beat mentioned comes around the 13-minute mark. I have been listening to this track on the regular for the past few years ever since I came across it. This whole time I have been trying to figure out which Damon Albarn song is being sampled with zero success. If anyone knows the original, please let me know since I would absolutely love to hear it. Thankfully, Koala and Medeski blur their sounds so beautifully that it is certainly well worth a listen.

2 comments:

  1. "It's a recording from the Gorillaz sessions from 2000, which was never released in any form. Kid Koala, who was part of the sessions then (the only time he has done anything with Damon, thus we can say it's Gorillaz not Damon or Blur etc.), has just used this unreleased Gorillaz track in his live performance, scratching it." -from the Gorillaz-Unofficial forums

    ReplyDelete