Friday, June 24, 2011

Big Box Stores

There is a lot of talk recently surrounding Target employees attempting to unionize yet company has been going to great lengths to prevent this from happening. I have not worked at Target but I have worked at another big-box store.
After I graduated college I had trouble landing a job with my freshly printed college degree and a hunger to tackle the professional world. With a resume that expressed absolutely nothing except my complete lack of experience I was running out of options quickly. At the time, a brand new Best Buy was slated to open in the coming months and they were looking for a whole bunch of new employees to represent their company in their fine looking blue polo shirts and khaki pants. With little options I applied for a job, got hired and ended up working at Best Buy for close to a year. I have to admit there were some nice aspects about working there, specifically the employee discount, but more often than not I dealt with some of the worst customers around. This was certainly the case during the madness surrounding the holiday shopping season between Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you ever want to experience someone being a complete dick to a stranger I recommend you work at one of these stores during the holiday season. When the clock is ticking and Christmas is only a few days away you would encounter endless parents who have decided to wait to purchase gifts for their children until the last minute. The thing is these parents were buying the gifts that their children actually wanted. Sure, maybe these parents got their child a new sweater or a new winter jacket. Hopefully they bought them a book or two but lets face it, these kids want a new videogame or DVD for Christmas. It was then when you had to tell them that the box office smash movie or chart-topping album by some terrible pop singer they were looking for is sold out. What do you mean it’s sold out? This is Best Buy, right? You would politely tell them that whatever they were looking for has been in high demand and at this time it is sold out and that we expect to receive a new shipment in the next day or so. Why did you not order more the first time around if you knew it was in high? Do these people actually think I am the one making the fucking order for this store? I am just a young kid wearing some dumb uniform trying to make a buck. I wish I were making the orders. If I was I wouldn’t be on the floor dealing with assholes like you everyday. I do not know the details behind all this Target union talk but I do know it is not the best place to work when it comes to dealing with customers. So many people come into these stores looking to save some money and when they are thrown into a situation where that cannot happen they loose their shit and take it out any employee in earshot.

No comments:

Post a Comment